Marketing and sales are two related, yet completely different, functions.
Marketers focus on theoretical strategies about buying behavior. Salespeople close the deal and bring in revenue.
Marketers experiment with various advertising techniques. Salespeople work directly with prospects to convert them into customers.
It’s important to understand your salesperson’s needs and how they compare with a marketer’s needs. And it’s even more crucial to understand how they can work together to help your business succeed.
What Marketers Need From Salespeople
Marketers are strategy oriented. Their job entails creating the advertising plan and discovering the most viable ways to implement it. They are responsible for exciting the target market and priming prospects for buying.
- Specific input and feedback from the sales field.
- Materials salespeople can use to positively impact prospect conversion rates.
- Technically sound marketing materials that salespeople can’t ruin. (You’ve probably heard horror stories about poorly modified PowerPoint presentations. A bad presentation negatively impacts your brand.)
- Time to experiment and manipulate ad elements,and test their effectiveness.
- Salespeople who recognize the difference between features and benefits.
The biggest challenge for marketers is to make their theoretical approaches timely, understandable and practical for salespeople
What Salespeople Need from Marketers
Salespeople have face to face contact with your customers, and they have their own perspectives about what makes a prospect buy.
After your ad campaign has gone forth, your salesforce must represent that your marketing claims are true. Then they must convince prospects to part with their cash.
There are sales quotas to meet and time is of the essence, so salespeople want:
- Marketing collateral that comes ready-made. Salespersons like to hit the ground running. Just give them some sales sheets and business cards so they can get going. They’re in the moment and need great visuals to close those sales.
- Specific information about the product. Your salespeople should learn all the details about your product. That knowledge offers solutions when prospects have questions. Product knowledge builds trust. People buy from you if they trust you.
- The ability to create or modify sales products. Salespeople encounter many questions in the field. For example, a prospect may want to know how to use your product in a new way. Materials that can be adapted on the spot will show your versatility.
- Current advertising media. Sales can be negatively impacted by ad materials that still carry your old logo. Your salesforce shouldn’t promote new products with old marketing materials. Your media should also keep pace with new software releases.
- An understanding of features vs. benefits. Features are specifics like embedded social media or ecommerce solutions. Benefits are valuable results such as building social connections or reaching consumers globally. Your best salespeople recognize what’s most important to each prospect, features or benefits, and use that knowledge to close the sale.
Achieving Sales and Marketing Consensus
Marketers don’t want salespeople messing up their ad media, but they should be open to the feedback salespeople bring from direct experience with prospects.
Populr combines quality design, sound marketing and sales strategy, and solid development. It creates a winning solution from all points of view:
- Marketing. Populr creates a multi-media platform in professionally rendered one-page formats. These pages can be branded and customized for any product, service, or marketing strategy.
- Design. Populr’s available page templates are designed for ease of use. Simply plug in your content and other media, including video, graphics, and audio.
- Development. Our developers have worked hard to create a great user interface. The responsive layouts are simple to modify and adapt easily to your content.
- Sales. Populr’s pages are technology’s exciting, mobile, and interactive answer to the printed sales sheet.
Selling your product or service will only see success when all of these perspectives can find harmony.
Luckily, Populr has something for everyone.
Each of your team members will have their needs met, while also creating seamless collaboration with their peers. That kind of teamwork will positively impact your business growth and make things much easier along the way.